My generation, the high school class of 2004, were the first fully-Facebooked class. We never experienced college without it, save those few precious weeks before "The Facebook" came to our campus. But why is it, then, that my colleagues in Educational Theatre, many of which are my age, are hesitant to apply social media tools to their practice as professionals? Arts education sorely lags in our use of social media to share ideas and best practices. Prominent arts educators are nowhere to be found on Twitter. Facebook pages of open forums, even here in interconnected New York, barely make a blip on my newsfeed. I usually hear about them via NYU's list-serv emails from the Ed Theatre faculty.
So it should fall to us, the social media generation, to propel our industry into the 21st century. Enter our final project: The Arts Education Exchange. Team Steve Jobs' Zombie Army has begun work on a diary style blog of sorts as our final project. This website, hopefully full of user generated content, will serve as an internet resource where arts educators can share lessons and best practices, advertise best practices, and read entries from leaders in their field. All of this would be supported by social media, with a Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and LinkedIn arm to the Exchange steadily churning out updates.
More on this idea as the group develops it!

I really appreciate the memories you provided with the old facebook page post. I also remember having this same conversation in Drama With Special populations about why arts educators don't use these tech resources like they should. I think a big reason for this is because teachers are so afraid of the threat that facebook poses now on their jobs, so they would just rather stay out of everything.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your insight to this project! I am very happy to get to work with you on such a beneficial resource project for arts educators! Lord knows we need as much help as we can get! I am excited to see where our website goes!
ReplyDelete