For our final project in Tech Resources, team Steve Job's army created a preliminary version of Artex, our lesson plan database for arts educators. In our quest to create a more complete product, and fill up some time on our presentation, I decided to make a short introductory video to Artex. I knew it would look great on our homepage if visitors were greeted with an approachable medium for explaining our angle. I want to use this blog entry to explain a little bit about the process of creating the video.
I knew that I wanted the video to be introductory in nature, but not necessarily explain Artex itself. I was more interested in a way to explain why something like Artex was important. So I posed a simple question to a few of my colleagues in arts education: Why is it important that arts educators share ideas? The core of our project was this sharing. But why should we in the first place? My responses were cultivated via the internal webcam on my Macbook Air using the Photo Booth program. Each response was about 1 minute long.
With about ten minutes of responses, I combed through and found answers which I felt addressed both Artex and the prompt in an intelligent and articulate way. I imported the videos into iMovie and began my editing process. I actually tracked many of the answers in chronological order through each video, since the arguments started broad (which I liked) and became more nuanced towards the end (which I also liked.) I tried to connect ideas that linked with the previous idea to give the video a sense of narrative. I also had a little bit of fun editing Dave's response, which gave the video a sense of humor. Luckily, he has a good sense of humor and didn't mind!
I chose a song from the Wii Shop Channel from the Super Smash Bros Brawl soundtrack for it's upbeat melody. I didn't edit to closely to the music, like I did in my previous video, and was more focused on making a coherent narrative with the responses.
No comments:
Post a Comment